Sunday, February 1, 2009

Forged Business Card

I'm not sure if this screams perfect C.R.A.P., but it caught my eye among other business cards. I, for one, have never seen a card made of copper and especially for a fine artist, a piece like this does scream, "this is what I do." Is there any better way to put yourself out in the business world? Lately I have been working in forged metals; I just finished a spoon and I know that work like this is tedious. I have never successfully hammered in a straight line, it is difficult to find the control. So although these text lines are crooked, the piece is given more character. The majority of the alignment is left marginalized- the important information, who, what, where, how. The bottom right design creates a focus on the artist's craftsmanship. The hammer blows, patina, and rugged edge also create contrast. The text and design's colors are darkened, made important to the viewer. All text is kept in the same region of the card- the top left. The image in the bottom right is greatly emphasized, and find that to be a success of this piece. After-all, this is beckoning creative forgers and it is best to show off your skill and technique where need be.

1 comment:

  1. I agree this card is very creative however I wonder if the text could contrast more against the background. I found the text readable but I believe that if there was higher contrast it would be easier on the eye. I think the crookedness does add charm but using all caps and same font size does make it a little confusing, especially towards the bottom.

    ReplyDelete